Drawn onward — A Post-mortem (Part 3)
For the final week of my game design document’s development, I spent the majority of the time I had adding some more detail to character ideas, as well as adding a lot of references and a bit more research.
In particular, I added a lot to my bibliography to do with my moodboards — as I realised I had neglected to keep track of my sources for some of these. This ended up being quite a time sink and I regret not doing this better.
I spent a lot of time ironing out this post-mortem, as well as my critical reflection and the game design document in general. I also added a portion to the GDD describing more about things such as what I would expect the age rating for the game to be, and some descriptions to go alongside my moodboards to explain some of my decision making.
I also realised this week that my level moodboard was far too vague, so I decided to create some extra moodboards for subsequent levels to submit alongside the game design document, as well as a small word document containing links to references for these, as it felt unnecessary to include these on the game design document given that those moodboards aren’t on it.
I also added a little more to my inspirations section, citing the Film “Inside Out” as an inspiration for the characters, in that the twins are metaphorical representations of an inner conflict of a person, and while they’re not literal manifestations of emotion in the same way, it felt like a fairly apt comparison which I hadn’t considered when coming up with the concept.
The last thing to do as far as I can tell is to improve my storyboards — As I’m not a 2D artist, they’ll have to be quite simple, but I feel so long as I can get my ideas across, that will suffice.