SReal & Virtual worlds — Technical development blog
I’ll be using this to document the development process of this unit from a technical standpoint. As My idea change a few times, this is a bit later than I was originally planning to create this, so I decided to compile it into a singular, longer post.
Due to my choice of VR headset for development from home, this project (at least the start of it) was riddled with technical difficulties.
Below is a collection of my notes over time, accompanied by some gif/video evidence of the progress.
The first few weeks of this term were somewhat wasted by my indecision in concepting the game. Originally my plan was to use a project I’d be working on for outside work and tying it into a theme from the list provided- Originally my choice was “Surveillance” mixed with “Future transportation”, but I failed to solidify a message or focus for the game that was meaningful.
So this was dropped, and I moved on to a City-based game with a similar focus. Again, I had a similar issue — but instead of wasting development time, I decided to shift the focus to a COVID related issue — The management of spread of a virus and the difficulties of it. I thought that I could present this through a gameplay mechanic where you manage the lockdown of areas but in doing so fighting between keeping areas uninfected and maximising your score.
A final gif; I spent some time to make the rings and pulsing feel more satisfying, and added accompanying sound and an effect to show the gaining of score (which now doesn’t appear if a building is infected, as infected structures do not produce score).
Sadly I ended up having to not create a tutorial scene due to lack of time — Instead I utilised a text based tutorial script that I created previously on the BA course, which simply runs you through the concept of the game before the level begins.